Saturday, November 6, 2021

Peebles

Hi, reader

Finally, I've made it to Peebles in the Scottish Borders. I had planned to come here about a week ago, but the reports of dangerous floods persuaded me to stay in and around Glasgow a while longer.

I've known of Peebles since I was thirteen years old, when I learned it once belonged to Edmund Blackadder, Duke of Edinburgh. That's before it was given to that kilted maniac, Dougal MacAngus.


In the morning, I was excited to see my view. I'd reached my parking spot after dark, and I knew that it overlooked Peebles. This is how it looked at breakfast time. What a lovely little town. Estimated population, 9000 people (peeble?).


My days have fallen into a routine on this trip, and breakfast is usually followed by finding a library to charge my electronics and write this blog. The library in Peebles in located in the old burgh offices, which also house an art gallery and local museum. The buildings occupied by these are called the Chambers Institution, being deeded to the town by William Chambers, a member of the Chambers publishing family who originated in the town. 


This little courtyard area also has a war memorial, first unveiled by Field Marshal Earl Haig in 1922. The memorial commemorates the local men who sacrificed their lives in the First and Second World Wars.




This is a sketch of the memorial, signed by the architect.


I didn't have any real plan for the afternoon when I left the library. I decided to just look around Peebles and see what caught my interest. The town has a great high street and the old buildings and boutique style shops make for a tip-top little wander.

As I walked, I started to notice this recurring image of three fish.




Time for some research. 

The arms of the Royal Burgh of Peebles features three salmon on a red field and the motto is 'Contra Nando Incrementum'. Those of you well-versed in Latin will know that translates as 'There is growth by swimming against the stream', referring to the annual migration of salmon up the River Tweed in order to breed. The one salmon facing forwards and two facing backwards represent the fact that for every salmon that goes up the river, two come back to the sea.

The arms are very old, first appearing on the town's Mercat Cross, which was built some time before 1320. Here are some more examples I found:





And even this metal sculpture which was outside another church.


Down one of the many narrow side streets, I came across this impressive mural which depicts the history and culture of The Royal Burgh of Peebles from earliest times to the present.


The mural is in seven sections, which represent prehistoric to medieval, medieval to 1600, 1600's to industrial, 1800s to 20th Century at the railway station, 1800s to 20th Century in Peebles High Street, present and recent times, and the future.

Recently it's been getting dark (and cold) around 5pm. I made my way back to the van through some picturesque residential streets. Like LanarkCallander and Aberfoyle, Peebles is nestled against tree-covered mountains.


As you can see, social distancing is still very much in effect here in Scotland. This reminder notice has some great examples of Scottish slang.


Back at base, I rustled up some pasta with spring onions and mushrooms. Filling and nutritious, and it tasted great.


Hope you'll join me again. I think I've got maybe two more days in Scotland, then I'll be heading south.

Thanks, as always, for reading,

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...