Tuesday, November 2, 2021

The Legend of the Fairy Minister

Hi, reader

I've moved on again, saying goodbye to Callander earlier yesterday afternoon.

The drive from Callander to nearby Aberfoyle was spectacular. It's a winding road through forests and along the sides of lochs. I had the whole road to myself for most of the journey; I think I only saw three other vehicles, and it felt like I was in a car advert.


Just like Callander, Aberfoyle is a very picturesque little town, sitting against a backdrop of forest-covered mountains. Aberfoyle describes itself as The Gateway to the Trossachs', and is well situated for visitors to access attractions such as Loch Lomond and Inchmahome Priory at the Lake of Menteith. 

There's a free car park behind the main street and I set out right away on a walk to get some exercise. There are many hiking routes signposted from the town and I picked one at random. 

Turns out I made a good choice, as I ended up learning about an interesting local legend. This is the supernatural story of Doon Hill and the Reverend Robert Kirk (9 December 1644 – 14 May 1692).

Doon Hill

The walk starts off on a small road. I was thinking people reading this blog might be getting bored of seeing photos and videos of autumn colours and moss covered woodland. If so, scroll on down. I can't get enough of walking through nature in autumn. Anyway, here's a quick clip of my approach to Doon Hill.


Fairy Folk

It wasn't long before I left the road and found this wooden sign.


It reads 'Look after our forest. Please stick to the paths. More than just fairies live here.' At first I thought that sounded a bit sinister. What else lives in these woods? Then I realized it's referring to wildlife.

I started up the path through the woods, keeping an eye open for fairy folk.


Soon enough, I started to come across fairy houses and other decorations.


This pebble has been painted with the words 'Robins appear, when loved ones are near.' It reminded me of a story my mother has told me, when a robin landed very close to her while she was gardening, not long after my grandmother passed away. She felt that the robin was her mum coming to say hello.


Lucky Coins

Here's another decorated fairy house. If I zoom the video in close, you can see that it's another example of many coins being hammered into a tree for good luck. I also saw these at The Falls of Bruar , Killikrankie and The Hermitage at Dunkeld.


The Hilltop

It's not too strenuous a walk to the top of Doon Hill. If you're visiting Aberfoyle, it's a lovely walk that takes about an hour and a half. When you reach the top, you're rewarded with some beautiful views of the surrounding mountains.



And in a clearing at the top of the hill you can find the Minister's Pine! This tree is said to house the soul of Reverend Robert Kirk, also known as The Fairy Minister. Reverend Kirk wrote a book called Secret Commonwealth, about the lives of elves, faunes and fairies. One year later, he passed away while walking on this very hill. Legends arose after Kirk's death saying he had been taken away to fairyland for revealing the secrets of the Good People; here's the tree where his soul now, supposedly, rests.


Evening was drawing on, and as I made my way down the hill I was treated to a great sunset.


Robert Kirk's Grave 

On the way back to town, I passed the Aberfoyle cemetery and popped in for a look at the Fairy Minister's grave. This is the third cemetery I've visited in a week and some readers may be wondering if I have a macabre fascination with graveyards; maybe I have.

Robert Kirk's memorial is easy to find, as it's covered in coins.


You can also identify the stone by this carving which is covered in moss and faded, but still visible.


Here's Doon Hill as viewed from the cemetery.


Back in Aberfoyle, I opted for a takeaway dinner, chips and curry sauce. Three pounds fifty. Very unhealthy, totally delicious. 


That's my short stop in Aberfoyle. From here, I'll be heading back south, though not sure where yet.

Thanks for reading,

Brian






No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...