Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Number Seven

Hi, reader

I've arrived in Scotland's capital city, Edinburgh, but there won't be any sightseeing just yet. The ghost of Del Boy continues to haunt me, and the van has encountered its seventh (yes seventh!) issue. And this isn't a minor one compared to what's gone before. Let's get into it.

I arrived in Edinburgh in the early evening and used the Park4Night app to find a suitable spot for the evening. An excellent spot, I'd say. This is Marine Drive, with a beautiful view of the River Forth. 


It's a quiet area and there are no parking restriction signs anywhere. 


I decided I wasn't in the mood for cooking after my drive from Perth, so I used Google Maps to find a Chinese takeaway a ten-minute drive away. The idea was to pick up some food and come back here to eat.

However, the restaurant wouldn't accept card payments under ten pounds and I had no cash, so I got back in the van to look for somewhere else. Turned the key. Nothing. It was completely dead. Now, with all the other issues (flat tire, leaky roof, clunky gears, fuel leaks), I've still been able to drive the van to get to a garage. But this time I was going nowhere. Luckily, when I insured the van I included AA breakdown recovery. I gave them a call and a mechanic was with me forty minutes later.

David was a young, friendly guy and he did various diagnostic tests to determine the problem. The main issue was that the starter motor had died, probably because it was ten years old. But he also told me the battery was near the end of its life and unlikely to survive the winter.

So we jumpstarted the van with a tow and David followed me to Farmer Autocare, about five miles away. He installed a new battery which cost 140 pounds, but there was still the problem of the starter motor. 


I slept the night in the back of the van on the forecourt of Farmer Autocare. Nobody disturbed me, but it was a noisy junction and there was constant traffic throughout the night. I slept, but it wasn't a good night's sleep. The staff started arriving at 7:30 am and by 8 am the forecourt had another twenty five vehicles on it and a queue of people needing help.


At first they told me it was unlikely they'd be working on it today, but the garage manager, Craig, was a really decent guy. He came back and told me he'd install the new motor himself, hopefully by lunchtime. Then to my surprise, they had it all fixed and ready to drive off before 9:30 am! It cost 261 pounds all in. The van was ready to rock again, but this was no twenty pounds fix this time. Total cost for the starter motor and battery: 401 pounds.


Right now, I'm back at Marine Drive and I've had some breakfast. I feel pretty tired and need to get some sleep, so I think I'll take a day off today, and start exploring Edinburgh tomorrow.

Seven problems encountered and seven problems fixed. Approximate total cost: 600 pounds. Herbie rides again! Quite a few of you have messaged me saying I must be cursing this van, but I really love it. When it's running, it runs really nicely and it's a pleasure to drive. Every issue that's arisen has been fairly easy to overcome, and these little bumps in the road have given me opportunities to practise looking on the bright side.

What positives can I take away from this latest breakdown?

I've got a brand new Bosch battery in the van with a five-year AA warrantee
I've got a brand new starter motor too
All fixed and good to go in a really short time
The garage let me fill up on drinking water - ten litres
I also charged up my phone and laptop while I was in their waiting area

If you're in Edinburgh and you encounter car problems, I totally recommend Farmer Autocare. Every person I talked to was lovely. I couldn't believe they fitted me in at such short notice; the garage was crazy busy from the moment they opened. My thanks to Craig and his team.

And thanks to you for reading. Tune in next time,

Brian





No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...