Monday, October 18, 2021

Forty Day Review

Hello, reader

No new scenic photos to share today, as I haven't really moved anywhere. This morning I'm back in Perth and doing some 'housekeeping' (vankeeping?) before I head off to Edinburgh. So just stuff like grocery shopping, laundry, checking the air in my tires and so on.

Today is day 42 of this lifestyle, which means it's now been six weeks since I slept in bricks and mortar. When I called my Mum from Dundee a few nights ago, she couldn't believe I'd already been travelling in the van for six weeks. She said it felt more like two or three weeks! 

So for this filler post, I've decided to review the first 40 days and recap where I've visited and stayed along the way. 

Here goes


Day 1

The 7th of September seems so long ago! My first night in the van was a 'soft launch'. It was parked on my Mum's neighbour's driveway, which meant I could bail at any time and go and sleep in the house. However, all went well and I had a great night's sleep. 

Day 2

One more night in Llantwit Major, Glamorgan. It rained heavily in the early hours of the morning and that's when I discovered there was a leak around the seal of the van's air vent. Right in the middle of the roof!

 

Day 3

Drove from Wales to York and had my first stealth camping experience on Vyner Street in York. Reunited with my British Council and York University colleague, Alasdair. 

Day 4

Spent a full day in York with Al, and slept in a new location in York: Landing Lane.

Day 5

Drove from York to Sleddale Hall, the real life Crow Crag from the film Withnail and I.

Day 6

My first day in Scotland. Arrived in Dumfries and found a good parking spot near the River Nith.

Day 7

Spent a full day in Dumfries. Visited various places of historic interest, including Robert Burns' house. During the night it rained and the van roof leaked again. My silicone gel DIY repair had failed.

Day 8

Stayed in a small place called Dalbeattie and set an early morning alarm. Thanks to a tip off from Mick in Dumfries, I'd found a repair company who could sort my leak out the following morning.

Day 9

Davey and Lee at Sandersons Accident Repair in Beeswing had the leak fixed by lunchtime and I set off for Ayr. By the time I reached Ayr, the gears had started making a loud clunking, accompanied by a worrying jolt every time I changed up or down in the lower gears.

Day 10

A full day in Ayr. The landlady, Carol, at the Olde Forte Bar put me in touch with Wee Barry who fixed the clunky gears problem, but also discovered a new fuel leak.

Day 11

Barry fixed the fuel leak in the morning. I was on the shores of Loch Lomond by evening.

Day 12

Walked to the top of Conic Hill for a view over Loch Lomond. Met some Highland cows. Spent another night at the side of the loch.

Day 13

Left Loch Lomond and arrived in Oban. Discovered that the ferry to the Isle of Mull was fully booked for the next few days, so I wouldn't get to visit Tobermory on Mull this time round.

Day 14

Spent part of the day in Oban. Wandered around the shops, ate some lunch, took photographs. Mainly relaxed. I set off for Fort William but missed a turn somewhere in the Scottish Highlands. Ended up way off course and stopped for the night in a place called Crianlarich.

Day 15

Second time lucky, I made it to Fort William. Found a good place to park. The weather was cold, grey and rainy.

Day 16

A full day in Fort William. Mostly spent it shopping, looking around the town and working on my blog in the Fort William library. It rained throughout the day.

Day 17

I drove from Fort William to Neptune's Staircase on the Caledonian Canal and then onwards to a layby not far from Glenfinnan.

 

Day 18

Drove to the Glenfinnan viaduct, made famous by the Harry Potter films. Joined about 100 other Potter fans to see the Jacobite steam train cross the viaduct. Then I passed Eilean Donan Castle (from the film Highlander) on my way to the Kyle of Lochalsh.

Day 19

I spent a full day on the Isle of Skye and slept on the edge of a town called Portree, the biggest town on the island.

Day 20

I drove around Skye some more and stopped off at various viewpoints, then crossed the Skye bridge back to the mainland for another night at Kyle of Lochalsh.

Day 21

Arrived in Plockton, the home of Hamish Macbeth. Beautiful place. Expensive to live there.

Day 22

I navigated the Bealach Na Ba (Road to Applecross). It's a pretty hair-raising climb up a steep mountain with lots of hairpin bends. The van struggled at times, but reached the top triumphant. Spent the night in picturesque Shieldaig. 

Day 23

Drove to Ullapool which has great facilities, including a free public shower, laundry service and an excellent library. 

Day 24

Set out from Ullapool and refueled at a small place called Scourie. The weather was really bad and I didn't want to drive any further with such poor visibility. Stopped in a layby on a mountain top in the middle of nowhere. Saw a family of deer.

Day 25

Travelled for most of the day and got to Thurso in the evening. Passed beautiful scenery, including some lovely beaches along the way.

Day 26

Flat tire. The tire centres in Thurso were all closed until Monday morning.

Day 27

Amused myself in Thurso, kept out of the rain and found a lovely cafe with vegan options.

Day 28

Back on the road. I drove to John o' Groats. Then headed south, stopping for the night in Broro. Detected another fuel leak. Number three.

 

Day 29

Had a great morning in Brora and then made my way to Inverness. Confirmed - the van was leaking fuel again and the leak had worsened by the time I reached Inverness.

Day 30

Got my fuel leak fixed thanks to Tomas the friendly mechanic. Spent a full day in Inverness.

Day 31

I spent another full day in Inverness and parked on the banks of the River Ness. Went to see The Many Saints of Newark at the cinema.

Day 32

Farewell to Inverness and a short drive to Loch Ness. Parked in a quiet layby right on the shores of the loch. 

Day 33

Spent the whole day at Loch Ness and relocated the van to Drumnadrochit. Coincidentally met Mick, the guy who gave me a tip in Dumfries to get the leaky roof fixed.

Day 34

Walked to the Craigmonie viewpoint for a great elevated view of Loch Ness. In the afternoon I left this area and made my way to Aviemore.

Day 35

Spent the day at Aviemore and drove out to Loch Morlich. Foul weather, lovely views.

Day 36

I walked up to the Falls of Bruar and later drove to Blair Atholl, where I spent the night.

Day 37

Still based at Blair Atholl, I explored Killiecrankie and Pitlochry.

Day 38

Swung by Dunkeld and walked around The Hermitage on my way through to Perth. Reunited with another colleague from British Council, Donna.

Day 39

Drove to Dundee and found the statue of one of my favourite comic characters, Oor Wullie.

Day 40

Spent a full day in Dundee and walked around the city taking pictures of statues, street art and anything else which caught my eye.

There you go. Forty days of van life. Tomorrow I hope to arrive in a wee place called Edinburgh. My report from there to follow. Thanks for reading,

Brian



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...