Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Relaxing in Edinburgh

Hi, Reader

Today I join you from McDonald Road Library in Leith, the stomping ground of Spud, Renton, Sick Boy and Begbie. 


Yesterday I had a full day in Edinburgh but I didn't do any sightseeing. I felt a bit burnt out after my drive from Perth, a poor night's sleep on the forecourt of Farmer Autocare and getting up early to get the starter motor replaced.

I decided to take a relaxing day and just nap, have a walk and watch Alice in Borderland on my laptop. I returned to Marine Drive which is really a beautiful spot. Lots of people were exercising, relaxing and walking their dogs. I saw these two girls riding their ponies in the River Forth.


I really enjoyed my walk along the esplanade and arrived at Cramond Beach, where there's a handy public toilets. Along the way, I passed this big fish sculpture which reminded me of Dory from Finding Nemo.


The sculpture is called The Crammond Fish and is by Ronald Rae.

Marine Drive is long and there were five or six van folk parked along it in the night. Very quiet and peaceful, save for the occasional plane going over.

This morning I was awake early. I went for another walk along the River Forth and took in an amazing sunrise. There were lots of interesting ocean and estuary birds around. 

After breakfast I found a Tesco Superstore to park my van and went along to Glenogle Swim Centre.

This Victorian baths in the heart of Edinburgh has served the city for years. Lucky me, the guy on the front desk let me in for free to have a shower and a shave.



And now here I am in Leith. This afternoon I'm going to visit Arthur's Seat, as recommended by my friend, Justin. So now I'll hurry back to my van and hope it's still where I parked it. I'm sure this is a lovely area to live, but thanks to Irvine Welsh, I do not feel safe in Leith.


Thanks for reading,

Brian




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...