Friday, September 17, 2021

One problem fixed, another discovered

Hi there, reader

Today I'm writing from Carnegie Library in Ayr. 








Last night I parked the van overlooking the River Ayr and tried to forget about the clunky noise the van's been making every time I change through the lower gears. 

This morning I woke to a beautiful view of the river. Loads of swans, gulls, a big heron or crane, ducks etc. ... and a lovely sunny day.


As I was getting ready to go out and explore, the landlady (Carol) from the pub across the street (Ye Olde Forte Bar) called across to me, "Do you want a cup of tea, Hen?" I told her I'd just had a cup, and asked if she knew a good local mechanic. She leaned back in the pub door and called for Wee Barry to come out.

Barry had a look under the van and told me a bolt, that was essential for holding the engine in place, had come loose and fallen out. He got me to drive us up to his workshop and put the van up on a lift.



It took a couple of minutes to find the right size bolt and put it in place. Then Barry checked over everything else and found ... another diesel leak. I couldn't believe it! How many more surprises does this van have in store for me?


This pipe here has perished at one end and fuel is slowly leaking out of there. The good news is that Barry's friend, Wullie, works in the parts department of the local Ford centre. Wullie ordered a new pipe to arrive in Ayr tomorrow morning. I had another night in Ayr, which seems like a lovely place with lovely people.



I collected the new pipe at 8:30 this morning and Barry had it fitted by ten. 

Draining out the diesel ...



Fifty quid's worth of fuel to go back in after the new pipe is fitted ...

Looks like everything is okay with the van again and soon I'll set out for my next destination - Loch Lomond, where I may be without Wifi for a while.

Thanks for reading!

Brian

Bonus - travel tip:


Don't use Marvel Spider-man Wipes for your bum; they contain some kind of chemical or alcohol and your anus will go on fire.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha ha. More than my Spidey Sense was tingling that night.

    ReplyDelete

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...