Monday, September 20, 2021

Conic Hill

Hi there, reader

It was lovely, sunny weather at Loch Lomond, so I decided to do one of the local walks to the top of Conic Hill (361 metres). Time to pull on my hiking boots. I picked these Timberlands up in a charity shop in Cardiff for fifteen pounds. What a bargain. They're practically brand new and exactly my size.

There's Conic Hill in the distance. A man working at a local campsite told me that this walk is a small part of the West Highland Way, a popular hiking route that spans 154km from Milngavie (north of Glasgow) to Fort William in the Highlands. Thirty minutes after I started out, I was once again reminded how out of shape I am. 

About halfway up, I met some Highland Cows. Very tame and chilled out.

There's the summit getting closer.

And finally I made it to the top where you can see this amazing view looking back at Loch Lomond. There were lots of people at the top, including a group of about 30 people from Saudi Arabia. They told me they were first year students from Glasgow University. They had brought a big Saudi Arabia flag to celebrate National Saudi day (although Google tells me that's not till the 23rd of September - maybe I misunderstood).


I took a different route down, arriving at the Balmaha visitors' centre, then along a hiking path back to my van. The whole walk was just over 15,000 steps, according to my Pacer app. The bay/harbour at Balmaha is stunning, and there were lots of ducks and other birds around.





Got back to the van just in time to relax and enjoy the sunset over the loch.


The next morning, I took a little detour south to Dumbarton and visited the Meadow Centre swimming pool and gym. Two pounds fifty to get a shower and shave.











See you next time as I head for Oban, near the Isle of Mull.

As always, thanks for reading.

Brian






6 comments:

  1. Great adventures ahoy, Brian. Don Ross lives around Loch Lomond, I think. It might have been him in the swimming trunks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Russ. Whoever made that swim is a braver man than me. The cold is my biggest obstacle now. Going to buy some thermals when I get a chance.

      Delete
  2. Are you thinking of heading down the Mull of Kintyre? It's wonderful. Used to go there as a kid almost every year. We stayed in a village called Muasdale. A friend of my grandfather had a guesthouse on the beach at the south end of the village. Amazing scenery and the dunes down at Machrihanish are spectacular. As is the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't planned on it, Russ, although I love that song by Wings. I think I'll head for the Isle of Skye after Fort William.

      Delete
  3. Make sure you sing 'The Skye boat song' for the entire journey there. Or watch some back episodes of 'Outlander'. Hope you've got 'Local Hero' on your movie playlist, too, and 'The Wicker Man'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to download new stuff this morning, but can't get access to the bay of pirates.

      Delete

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...