Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Launch delayed


Hello, dear reader

The Ford Transit Connect is now in my possession, but I won't be heading off to Scotland any time soon. Let's take a look.


As the days went by and the workman sent me more and more photos and updates of his progress, I got the growing feeling that he wasn't going to deliver on his grand promises. At a glance, looking at photos on your phone, it might look like a decent enough van conversion ...





... but when you see it up close it's a different story. The workman has cut corners everywhere. Lots of things he promised aren't present - such as insulation in the walls, a solar panel on the roof, a control panel for the electrics built into the wall. All missing. 

When I picked up the van I was crushed. Everywhere you look there are corners cut. Everything is substandard, botched and hurried. However, I think it's important to stay positive and move forward. I have a friend with carpentry experience who is free to work on the van on the 3rd of September. He's either going to try to make good on the existing work or pull everything out and start from scratch. To be decided.

On the upside, the van runs well. I drove it about twenty miles and it seems great. Fingers crossed. I've insured it, including AA breakdown recovery. 

So the upshot is: I've got the van, but I'm unlikely to set off on my voyages until 10th September, maybe later. Meanwhile, I'm keenly aware that winter is coming. The clock is ticking.

Thanks for reading. Stay tuned.

Brian


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...