Thursday, August 19, 2021

What's occurring?

Hello, dear reader.

I'll use this blog to record the highs and lows of my 2021 road trip around Scotland. 

At the time of writing this, I have bought a secondhand Ford Transit Connect in South Wales. This diesel microvan is ten years old with 77,000 miles on the clock. The dodgy geezer I've bought it from is supposedly converting it for living on the road. It's going to be pretty basic, but it'll have a bed, storage cupboards, a leisure battery connected to lights and some plug sockets. I also requested insulation, since Scotland is known to be freezing cold, but he has informed me that he's only insulated the roof - not the walls. Why? I've no idea. I spoke to him at least five times about the importance of insulating the sides of the van. Dealing with this guy has not been pleasant, but I'm in too far now. I was supposed to collect the finished van from him today, 19th August 2021, but that's also not happening it seems. I shall try to remain patient and hope that he contacts me very soon confirming a day I can pick up my new temporary home on wheels.


What else do you need to know at this point? Well this is a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants adventure. I've never been to Scotland before. I've never lived in a van before. I've never driven a van without a rear view mirror before! And, at present, I don't have any itinerary for this trip. But I do have a loose plan of approach ...

So I have a handful of friends I'd like to catch up with. Before Scotland, I can visit one friend in York. Then I have two friends in Glasgow, a friend in Edinburgh, a friend in Perth and a 'contact' in the Orkney Islands. Over the next week I'm going to map out a route which allows me to visit all of these people. To that I hope to add in some visits to places of interest such as Ben Nevis, Loch Ness, The Isle of Mull, The Isle of Skye and so on.


How long will this trip last? Good question. If I'm cold and lonely, I could be returning to Wales in fewer than ten days. If it's exciting, enjoyable, inspiring and manageable, then maybe I'll stay on the road until the Scottish winter drives me back south.

Stay tuned. Fortune favours the bold.

Brian




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...