Saturday, August 28, 2021

App Toolkit for Living the Vanlife

Hello, dear reader

I've been doing some research into apps that could prove to be useful tools on my trip around Scotland.

Today I'll present five that I've downloaded to my phone. Maybe in the future I'll revisit this list and feedback on how useful they've been. 

1. Google Maps


This was already on my phone of course and I think most people would list Google Maps as one of the most useful apps ever. As I make my way around Scotland, I predict this app will become a hundred times more useful. 

2. Park4night

Here's the blurb for this app: 

Park4Night is an app that you can download on both iPhone and Android devices that gives you information about places that you can (you guessed it) park up for the night. It's essentially a database of parking spots created by vanlifers for vanlifers, and it's constantly updating and evolving every day.

So this could be very useful. I've tested it a little in my local area, South Glamorgan. Let's see how well it serves me in the wild.

3. Refill

This is a great app. 

Refill is the UK's leading 'app for tap' – connecting people looking for water with shops, businesses, fountains and transport hubs where they can refill their water for free on-the-go. Refill works by connecting people with locations where they can eat, drink and shop with less waste. Participating businesses simply sign up to the app and put a sticker in their window, alerting passers-by that they're welcome to come on in and get a refill.

4. Flush

Where's the nearest toilet? Enter the Flush app! With a little forward planning, and this useful tool, I'll be just fine :)



5. Wi-Fi Map


I'm dubious about this one, but I'll certainly give it a try. Part of me thinks it wouldn't be such a bad thing to have extended periods without Wi-Fi. And part of me thinks Wi-Fi is my lifeline.


Which apps have I missed? Let me know of any other apps you would consider useful or ever essential for living in a van. What should I have on my phone?

Thanks for reading. Till next time,

Brian







No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...