Friday, October 22, 2021

Wandering around Edinburgh's Old Town


Hi reader,

Today I had a leisurely wander around Edinburgh's 'Old Town', known to Scottish people as 'Auld Taun'. It's a bustling area of centuries-old buildings and narrow alleys. At its heart, perched on an extinct volcano, Edinburgh Castle is home to Scotland’s crown jewels. The Royal Mile, a steep street lined with traditional pubs, casual eateries, souvenir shops and small museums, runs from the castle to the Scottish Parliament and the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Queen’s Scottish residence.

The area has preserved much of its medieval street plan and many Reformation-era buildings. I arrived at Cowgate, which lies below the elevated streets of South Bridge and George IV Bridge and is quite gloomy and dark in sections.


And on the wall, this unusual warning sign:


I really liked the flowers growing on the front of the Cold Town House in Grassmarket. They give the effect of a purple waterfall spilling from the turret on the left.


And just to the left of the Cold Town House, the imposing Edinburgh Castle stands over the Old Town district. The castle perches on top of a rocky crag, the remnants of an extinct volcano, and the main street runs down the crest of a ridge from it. 


As one of the most important strongholds in the Kingdom of Scotland, Edinburgh Castle was involved in many historical conflicts from the Wars of Scottish Independence in the 14th century to the Jacobite rising of 1745. Research undertaken in 2014 identified 26 sieges in its 1,100-year history, giving it a claim to having been 'the most besieged place in Great Britain and one of the most attacked in the world'.

Arthur's seat over there ... Edinburgh Castle over here.


From Flodden ridge
The Scots beheld the English host
Leave Barmoor Wood, their evening post
And headful watched them as they crossed
The Till by Twizell Bridge.
High sight it is, and haughty, while
They dive into the deep defile;
Beneath the cavern'd cliff they fall,
Beneath the castle's airy wall.

Sir Walter Scott

There are lots of lovely shops, restaurants and pubs to find as you explore Old Town. I collected some more examples of punnery and also photographed some excellent street art, which I'll share in a later post.

As I headed back to my van, I passed under another arched bridge ...


... and saw this sign on the wall:


I'm sure I've heard this quote in a movie, tv show or song, but I can't place it. If you recognize it, leave a comment or send me a message.

Tomorrow, I'm really excited to have a ticket booked for The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art to see this exhibition. I hope to get some great pictures there.


Thanks for reading,

Brian







2 comments:

  1. Brian - I've been reading a fair amount of Ed James, who bases his detective novels in Edinburgh. You should visit the underground vaults and streets, which appear in one of his books. I never knew about it until then - worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I did see an underground tour advertised, Russ. However, I'm leaving Edinburgh for Glasgow later this afternoon. Next time, eh?

      Delete

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...