Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Quest for Robert Burns





Hi, Reader

Today I had a full day in Dumfries and a chance to walk around. I wanted to learn about the poet, Robert Burns.


I started my day at the Ewart Public Library, which has been serving the local community since 1904. 

This was a chance for some free Wifi to check my social media, update my blog and give all my electronics a much needed charge.

I had mapped out a route of local attractions for the afternoon, but my sightseeing was to be thwarted ...

First up was Robert Burns' house. Burns, the national poet of Scotland, moved to this house in 1793, and continued to write until he died here on the 21st July, 1796. Unfortunately, the house was closed to visitors so I couldn't see inside. 

Later in the afternoon, I met an old gentleman (85 years old) who told me that Robert Burns was from Ayr. He assured me that although Burns only lived in Dumfries for the last three years of his life, this is where he produced some of his best and most memorable work. That old man also told me I could stop my journey right now, since I'd already found the best place in Scotland: Dumfries. 

I walked around the outside of Burns' house and found some plaques and artwork relating to him.



Next I found a café called Pumpernickel. This place has only recently reopened after closing for 15 months due to Covid. The owner told me he'd decided to make the café fully vegetarian and vegan, and was getting a lot of business, particularly from younger people. I had the Thai vegan burger. Not sure what made it Thai exactly - maybe the sweet chili relish? Anyway it was delicious and I couldn't believe it only cost 4.95!

Next stop on my walking tour of Dumfries was the Old Bridge House. The sign proclaims it was built in 1660 and is the oldest house in Dumfries, now a museum of everyday life from that time. You've guessed it - closed to the public. An old guy I met later in the evening (different old guy) told me it's not really the oldest house in Dumfries. That old guy had a lot to say about a lot of topics and he started everything with "Just let me tell you this, so that you know ..."  For example: "Just let me tell you this, so that you know. If you want to fill up on fresh water, you just need to go to a graveyard. Every graveyard in Scotland has a water tap in it." 

Fancy that!

I walked along the River Nith to the next attraction: The Robert Burns Centre. My chance to learn more about this beloved Scots poet. Three for three: it was closed to the public too!

Well, at least I got some exercise.

As I made my way back to where the van was parked, I passed a statue of Burns' wife, Jean Armour, also known as 'The Belle of Mauchline'. She was Robert Burns' wife. Jean Armour inspired many of Burns' poems and bore him nine children, three of whom survived into adulthood.

I found myself back at my van much earlier than expected, so I tidied everything up a bit and settled down for another film: The Straight Story (my laptop was fully charged again, after all). 

Cup of tea











Bombay mix, bourbon biscuits, pack of crisps.









Comfy pillows and cushions ... 

...and the best seat in the house. 








I was asleep by 10:30 and awake again around 6:30 when the rain started. It wasn't particularly heavy rain, but it was persistent. An hour or so later and my worst fears were confirmed - the roof is still leaking. There wasn't much I could do except put out a basin and plastic sheeting to catch the worst of the drips. When the rain stops, I'll need to get back onto the roof and look again to find where the water is leaking in. Cold and wet are a terrible combo.


So no travel for now. I drove to nearby Castle Douglas (nice town) and Dalbeattie which is a picturesque, small town where I found a quiet place to park and sleep. Finding places to park has been pretty easy so far, and the Park4Night app has been helpful in finding good locations. 

I've decided that tomorrow I need to get the roof leak fixed professionally. It needs to be completely waterproof before I face a torrential downpour. I'll let you know how I get on.

Stay tuned and thanks for reading.

Brian





No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...