Monday, September 27, 2021

Another famous movie location

Hi, reader

My destination today was the Isle of Skye. I haven't had much luck with embedding videos in this blog but I'll try again. This is a time lapse video taken between Glenfinnan and the Kyle of Lochalsh, as suggested by my friend Andrew. 


It's quite shaky because it's a pretty low tech set up - just my iPhone held in place on the van's dashboard with tape. It kept slipping down when there was a bump in the road. Anyway, hope the video works, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. Failing that, here's a link to it on Facebook ...


I recognized this next landmark as soon as it came into view. The original Eilean Donan Castle was built in the 13th Century and became a stronghold of the Clan Mackenzie but it was destroyed in 1719. The present day castle is a 20th Century reconstruction of the original.


Eilean Donan Castle has appeared in many films and TV shows, including Entrapment (Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones) and the James Bond film, The World is Not Enough (Pierce Brosnan). However, I remember it best as the castle featured in the 1986 film, Highlander.


Highlander was a box office flop on its release, but went on to become a cult favourite, spawning (pretty dreadful) sequels and a TV series. Highlander's soundtrack is by my favourite band, Queen, and their song 'Princes of the Universe' was used in the Highlander TV series too.


Eilean Donnan, which simply means 'Island of Donnan' is named after Donnan of Eigg, a Celtic saint who was martyred in 617. Donnan is said to have established a church on the island, though no trace of this remains.


I hopped back in my van and got back on the A87 for the Kyle of Lochalsh and The Isle of Skye.

Thanks as always for reading and thanks to everyone who's left comments or sent me questions. 

Brian

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...