Thursday, December 30, 2021

Back in France

Hi, reader

This'll be a short post because all I've really done today is drive. And it's been an easy drive. 

I've been concerned about the growing COVID variant hysteria, so I wanted to get from Spain to France before that border became more complicated. Actually, it was easy. Same as driving from France to Spain, there was no border check for passports, COVID or anything; I just drove on through.

I set out from Huesca in Spain around lunchtime. Filled up on diesel and bought some groceries too.

This is the point where Spain becomes France, I think.


I enjoyed driving through the Pyrenees by daylight this time. The mountains looked amazing covered in snow and there were a lot of people skiing. I saw one guy descend from the sky on a kind of parachute/parasailing contraption wearing skis. So he landed and started skiing right away; made me think of Roger Moore in The Spy Who Loved Me.

I don't have any pictures of the Pyrenees as the roads were narrow and winding and there was a lot of traffic in front and behind. So I just enjoyed the scenery. It was quite a change from the journey down, when I was often the only vehicle in sight and the snow-covered mountains were ghostly shapes against the night sky.

This evening I'm in Bordeaux and I've just sampled the vegan burger and fries from a 'gourmet' burger restaurant. 13 euros.

Tomorrow I'll try to set off by lunchtime again and make it somewhere within a day's reach of Calais if I can. Although it might take me two days to get somewhere like Abbeville. 

And now time to settle down and watch some TV. I'm at the end of season 1 of Money Heist. Ridiculous but fun. It's similar to Prison Break in that sense, so if you enjoyed (the first 2 seasons of) Prison Break, give it a try.

Thanks for reading

Brian


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...