Thursday, December 9, 2021

Abbeville

Hi, reader

Well I'm in France. Today I write from the Robert Mallet library in Abbeville. It's been a challenging time getting here, and I haven't been doing much in the way of sightseeing. It's been more like survival.


The ferry from Dover to Calais was uneventful and despite people warning me of stormy weather, it was quite calm. 

My first challenge when I left the ferry port was that there was no signal and no internet on my phone. I had called my phone company, Lebara, a few weeks back and they assured me I'd have no trouble getting internet in France and Spain because they are on the Vodafone network.

The upshot was that I had to drive with no Google Maps and no idea where I was going. I found it very stressful as I was on motorways driving on the right and unable to understand the French road signs. In the end, I stopped at a small village, found a place to park around 11pm and read my book until it was time to sleep. The temperature was fairly mild and I had a good night.

This morning I drove to Boulogne, which I also found stressful to drive around, navigating lots of narrow streets lined with parked cars and going the other way around roundabouts. Eventually I found a car park and had a breather. In the short time I've been here, I've found that there are lots of places to park for free. 

I contacted Vodafone and Lebara and I now have internet on my phone but I'm currently unable to share the phone's WIFI hotspot to my laptop. At some point I'll phone them again and try to get that sorted. the French lady I spoke to on the helpline was lovely; she said "Oh, Brian! You know your name reminds me of my favourite singer, Bryan Adams. I love his music so much."

Another problem I've found is sourcing vegan basics such as oat milk and vegan bread. Even Lidl didn't have any. 

Pushing on, I drove down to Abbeville. I've just looked on Google Maps and seen that I've barely made any distance. I also managed to somehow end up on toll roads twice, despite asking Google Maps to show me routes that avoid tolls. At the toll gates, the ticket machine was on the left, for left drive vehicles. So I had to get out of the van and run round to the other side in the rain to work out how to pay the toll. The people in the cars behind were patient and smiley.

That's about it for now. I haven't taken any photos really. Maybe I'll relax into this more and start seeing the sights along the way, but right now I feel quite out of my depth. I dread that the van will encounter some problem while I'm in France or Spain. Given that it had seven issues during my nine weeks in Scotland, the odds are that something will need attention, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'm thinking of pressing on to Rouen today. Then I'll find a place to park and get something to eat.

Thanks for reading,

Brian




2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the Thai curry. Enjoy beautiful Rouen. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't stay in Rouen long, but it looked lovely.

      Delete

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...