Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Three days in Thurso

Hi reader

I'm on the move again, but up until yesterday I was grounded in Thurso.

In case you missed the previous post, the reason for my extended stay in Thurso was a flat tire on the van (rear right). And with all three tire centres closed for the weekend, I had no option but to wait for Monday morning.

The weekend was wet, cold and windy for the most part, but whenever the rain stopped I went out for a walk around the town. I was amused to see some familiar place names on signs around the town. Anyone from the vale of Glamorgan will recognize Bridgend and Wick.


There's a cute little building in the middle of Thurso, with an interesting history. This stubby little tower with a conical roof houses the Meadow Well. For hundreds of years, the Meadow Well was Thurso's main water supply. There's a pump inside that was still in use up until the 1920s. The Meadow Well was also a sit where local fisherwomen congregated to sell fish and catch up on the latest news.


I took a walk to the local cinema, The Merlin, in the hope of catching The Many Saints of Newark, but it wasn't showing. In fact, the cinema only had one film showing for the next seven days - the new James Bond film, which I didn't fancy.

I had a pretty good (and a bit pricey) Tandoori on the Saturday evening and on Sunday I want to an awesome restaurant/cafe called Olive. If you're in Thurso, I recommend it. I had an open sandwich with avocado and sun dried tomatoes with ginger and lemon tea. Loved it.

Also during my three days in Thurso, I binge watched season one of Midnight Mass, a supernatural horror that's extra creepy when viewed in the back of a small van. It's smart, well-written horror with great directing and mostly brilliant acting. Thanks for the recommend Sam and Stuart. It's from the same guy who created The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor. No spoilers, check it out!


On Monday morning, my new tire was fitted in twenty minutes for 58 quid. I topped up my water bottles, got some groceries from Tesco and I was on my way again.


Thanks for everyone who advised about the tire on Facebook. Just a small hiccup and the van is ready for more travels. See you next time and thanks for reading,

Brian






No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Completion

Hi, reader The home stretch, one more big push to get from Calais to Dover, was a real mission. I spent my last two nights in France in a lo...